The Polish Boy Edit
Hyrum Graff was a young captain and teacher from the Battle School who attempted to recruit a young Polish boy named John Paul Wieczorek. Ultimately, he gave up on the boy and instead helped arrange for the family to move to the United States under the assumed surname Wiggin, with the intention of one day returning to recruit the boy's son.
Ender's Game Edit
Graff was later placed in charge of recruiting children for Battle School. This led him to watching Ender Wiggin's actions via the Monitor. After one final test, Graff realized that Ender was Battle School material and he took him to the orbiting station.
After Ender fought Bonzo Madrid, Graff went with Ender back to Earth for several months as Ender had given up on his Battle School education. Once his sister Valentine had convinced him to continue, he and Graff returned to space; but not back to Battle School - they were going to Command School on Eros.
Minister of Colonization Edit
Following Ender's defeat of the Formics, Graff was court martialed for his decisions at the Battle School, with the main case centering on his decision not to interfere with the fight between Ender and Bonzo Madrid. Graff successfully contended in his defense that all of his actions were necessary to ensure that Ender would be able to defeat the Formics, and was acquitted.
Later on, he was given the job of Minister of Colonization, and became one of the allies of Peter Wiggin and Bean in their struggles against Achilles de Flandres. He is also portrayed as a much more caring person, and more importantly, a strong advocate in establishing Peter as the true Hegemon over Earth.
- Known E-Mail addresses:
- After he was fired from his job as Minister of Colonization, he ended up living to 100+ subjective years.
- He eats when he is stressed.
- Graff was portrayed by Harrison Ford in Ender's Game (Film).
- "I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one. Or at least as close as we're going to get."
- — Ender's Game, Chapter 1
- "For a few minutes there, it actually occurred to me to wonder what kind of a man would heal a broken child of some of his hurt, just so he could throw him back into battle again. A little private moral dilemma. Please overlook it. I was tired."
- — Ender's Game, Chapter 10