This is the Ender's Game Wiki Manual of Style. This page will show you how to format, write, and edit on various articles on the Ender's Game Wiki. Please do not do any reorganization and cleanup of wikitext on the wiki unless you are fixing things to follow this style guideline. Feel free to debate any proposals on the talk page.
General Writing Style
There are a few things to remember concerning the general writing style of articles on this wiki.
- Write from the 3rd person point of view.
- Do not add content unrelated to the article. Be sure to make sure that everything on a page is directly related to the subject of the article.
- Do not insert personal opinions or speculation into the article.
- In terms of determining the reliability or priority of sources, see Canon.
- Use words that are appropriate to the article and keep the language simple.
- Avoid the use of obscenities in articles. They can be used only in the context of quotes from characters.
- Avoid the use of slang terms/euphemisms. Also limit using idiomatic terms and phrases as much as possible.
- The titles of works should be italics, such as Earth Afire.
- This wiki uses exclusively American English. Cases of British English should be changed.
- Avoid the use of any contractions, such as “didn’t” “could’ve” etc. Use the full forms “did not” and "could have” instead. Contractions do not belong in encyclopedic writing styles.
- "It’s" is a contraction, and should not be used."It’s" is short for "it is" and is not the possessive of "it", the possessive form of "it" is "its" with no apostrophe.
- When writing about topics in-universe, use the past tense. For example, "Andrew Wiggin traveled from Trondheim to Lusitania in the starship he had purchased.", or "Victor Delgado was a mechanic aboard El Cavador and the main protagonist of the First Formic War Trilogy. He was first introduced in Earth Unaware." This tense will be used throughout article pages.
- When writing plot summaries or issue summaries, use the in-universe writing style.
- If you are writing on an article about real world media, like novels or comic books, use the present tense to describe facts about the media itself, like "Earth Afire is the second novel in the First Formic War Trilogy, following Earth Unaware and preceding Earth Awakens."
- Links like [[Xenobiologist|xenobiologist]], [[Andrew Wiggin|Ender]] and [[Enderverse Timeline|Years]] are preferred over links with redirects like [[xenobiologist]], [[Ender]] and [[Years]].
- For links that are possessive, include the 's in the link. For example, use [[Novinha|Novinha's]] instead of [[Novinha]]'s.
- When creating a new page, capitalize all words in the title, unless the article title matches the title of a novel or other work that follows a different capitalization rule.
- When referencing Andrew Wiggin before the end of the events of Ender in Exile, use the name "Ender" instead of Andrew.